You're engaged! Congratulations! After popping the question, there are so many exciting decisions to make in the wedding planning process! One of the very first (and important!) decisions to make is to choose whether your wedding will be held locally or at a destination of your choosing. Typically, a destination wedding involves holding your ceremony and reception more than 100 miles from where you live, usually a sunny beach location (Belize is a great option!).
According to a recent post on Tripsavvy.com, 25% of all weddings are destination weddings, and they seem to be growing in popularity. Your wedding will be one-of-a-kind, as you won't have to choose from the same hometown wedding venues, and it will be a celebration your guests will always remember!
So what's so great about destination weddings? We're so glad you asked! Read on for seven reasons why we think they are the best!
1. Does it get any better than extending the celebration over a few days? On average, guests will stay 3 or more days at the wedding location. Couples will have plenty of opportunity to celebrate with their guests over multiple days and can host pre and post wedding activities such as dinners together, lounging by the pool, spa treatments, and excursions such as fishing or zip lining!
2. The guest list for destination weddings tends to be smaller and more intimate, with an average guest count of 38. Your guests will be your closest family and friends, and you'll get quality time with each one of them- especially when everyone is staying at the same resort.
3. When you plan a destination wedding, you can leave the details to the on-site experts. Most resorts will have a planner assigned to arrange all of the needed paperwork, officiant, and other important details of your day. This makes planning a breeze!
4. Travel to a new place! Is an overwater bungalow on your bucket list? Have you always wanted to dip your toes in the ocean? Experience the culture of another country or an area of your own country? You can literally choose any destination your heart desires, and spend as much time as you'd like exploring before and after your celebration!
5. Stay for your honeymoon! A destination wedding basically doubles as a wedding and a vacation. Once your guests have gone home, it's easy to continue your honeymoon at the same location! Bonus- you could split your time and jet off to another location and experience two different honeymoon locations!
6. Your photos will be incredible! One of the reasons couples choose a destination wedding is for a gorgeous location. Whether that's a tropical beach or in the middle of the mountains, you're pretty much guaranteed an amazing backdrop for your wedding!
7. Save money with a destination wedding. According to The Knot, the national average cost of a wedding in 2018 was $33,931. All weddings are unique, so costs can vary greatly from person to person, but smaller, more intimate destination weddings tend to cost less than a traditional celebration.
Weddings at St. George's Caye Resort
We have the perfect backdrop for your celebration right here at St. George's Caye Resort! Our little slice of paradise is abundant with incredible ceremony settings from the beach to our gardens!
Our experienced coordinator makes planning easy and will arrange all of the needed paperwork and an officiant, as well as help you obtain your Belize marriage license and select local vendors for your big day.
We also offer an online gift registry- choose the resort and Belize experiences you'd like to receive as gifts from family and friends!